14 Kasım 2012 Çarşamba

Reflection on Martin Luther King Jr. and Vietnam

To contact us Click HERE
Before reading the material for Prosperity and its Discontents, I had a pre-conceived notion of who Martin Luther King Jr. was. In my mind he has always been a champion of the Civil Rights movement and more specifically a voice for black people in America. Reading his speech about the war in Vietnam literally blew me away. Not only did this man care about people of his own color, he cared about all people. In his speech he spoke out against the misuse and poor treatment of soldiers, black and white, and also of the many Vietnamese citizens that were being displaced by the war. 
What I found to be most interesting is that MLK Jr. emphasized his role as a preacher many times in his speech. It was clear that he wanted his devotion to Jesus Christ to be known to all who were listening to him. This is a sentiment that I had never heard of regarding MLK. As I stated before he has always been a Civil Rights leader in my mind, rarely a preacher preaching the message of God. I believe that in light of this emphasis, all of his achievements and efforts towards peace seem even more admirable. MLK Jr. was doing what he believed the 'living God' had called him to do, preaching his methods and words to the masses. Again I just find it interesting the contrast of who I thought MLK to be and who he actually was. In either thought he was an admirable individual, but it is nice to know what exactly was compelling him to do what he did. 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder