2 Mayıs 2012 Çarşamba

Final Reflection

To contact us Click HERE
Now that the class is over and I am studying for the final, I can see how much material we have covered and how much I have gained from it. In our last class, we were asked to share one thing that we learned in the class, and I said that I thought the first-hand accounts we read were the most valuable part of the course. I was able to see American History through the eyes of the people that lived it, and it made our country's history - which we have all learned about since elementary school - come alive. 
Reflecting now, I see how each time period and the events that took place helped to shape the culture of the America that we live in today. Before this class started I wasn't really sure what "American culture" even was. Hot dogs and hamburgers? Red, white and blue? Being loud and fat? Now I see the history that we all share and I recognize parts of our culture and our rituals, and I see that while we have come a long way, we still have a ways to go. Perhaps we still struggle with defining ourselves as a nation.
As we continue forward, we all must keep in mind what we have learned in this class. The United States will continue to strive for a more concrete national identity, but we cannot let this struggle exclude people as it has in the past. In defining "American," we have previously left out various groups of people - from Native Americans to Japanese immigrants - that deserved to be a part of this nation as much as anyone else. I just hope that the future is one of acceptance and peace within our country as we continue seeking our identity.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder